What can cause an overbite?
Overbites are a common orthodontic condition, affecting children and adults. An overbite can develop at any age and can be caused by several factors:
- Genetics: An overbite can sometimes be caused by inherited genes. Having a parent with an overbite increases the child’s chances of developing one.
- Missing teeth: If someone fails to get missing teeth repaired or replaced, it can cause an overbite that may worsen over time.
- Extra or impacted teeth: When there’s not enough room in the mouth, teeth won’t be able to grow as they should, leading to misalignment issues.
- Childhood habits: Childhood habits like sucking on a pacifier, thumb sucking or overusing a bottle can impact the developing jaw.
- Adult habits: Similarly, adults who have the habit of biting nails, chewing on pencils or teeth grinding can cause the teeth to move out of alignment.
Why fix an overbite?
An overbite can be easily fixed with the right orthodontic treatment. The right treatment will realign your teeth, creating an aesthetically pleasing smile.
Getting professional help will also help correct any issues with jaw or bite misalignment, which can help alleviate the following symptoms:
- Speech problems like a lisp
- Chewing deficiencies
- Damage to the protruding upper teeth
- Sleep apnea
- Discomfort and pain
Why choose Owens Orthodontics?
Owens Orthodontics is proud to offer premier orthodontic care for patients throughout Maryville and the Greater Knoxville areas. Our team is experienced and dedicated to providing a stress-free experience from start to finish. We’ll help you achieve the smile of your dreams by working with you to develop a custom treatment plan.